Monday 11 May 2015

BOB CAT’s LEGO BLANKIE


BOB CAT’s LEGO BLANKIE - a free crochet pattern from Sweet Nothings Crochetthe all too cute Bob the cat, for whom this was designed

Lego has always been our favourite and a crochet Lego blanket is another level !

My children love animals.  My daughter is constantly rescuing a stray, fostering it and then gets it adopted (just in time for the next stray to come by, I should add).  Bob was one such cute stray that strayed into our life some time back.  She shared a picture on Facebook, and instantly he was adopted by her friend.  It was sheer coincidence (? Or was it?) that Pallavi was looking for a kitten at just that time – and truly Bob’s luck to be ‘found’ at this time.. as Pallavi totally dotes on him – as she says “Bob has stolen her heart, home and .. well, basically everything”.  This kitten has it made ! 

Pallavi loved the Lego blanket I’d made (for a child) and wanted one for her ‘own little baby’ Bob.. so this is for you, handsome Bob Cat .. and I just thought I’d make a few toys for him as well.. cute prince that he is. 

Thank you for joining me.

In case you have just joined me, know that you can access all of my earlier creations by checking under ‘categories’ on the right hand side of this blog under “Labels”.  Then, for your convenience, follow me here or on Facebook, You Tube, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.

Check out all my social media handles at the bottom of this blog

Oh, and may I add that the fastest way to find any of my blogs is via Pinterest.


All my blogs can be printed.  Find the printer friendly (green) link on the right side of this blog.  You can also hit Control P (or Command P for Mac) on your keyboard, and the blog will go directly to the connected printer.

Remember that you only print if absolutely essential.  Save paper – Save Our Earth. 


Do remember to add my blog URL when you make and show off your creation. 

Just copy the link on the search bar above - that's the blog URL.


To purchase this or similar yarn online, click the highlighted links below to buy your yarns online via Amazon.  While you will still pay the same, I may get paid by Amazon as well.  This is a free blog - so do pay it forward for me.  Cheers.

Bob the cat
This is bob.. and today we're making his blankie

a few of the toys for Bob

Materials used : Today I’ve used our lovely Indian Vardhaman acrylic yarn , 4.5 mm crochet hook ; poly-fill stuffing ; stocking net ; fabric glue to seal ends ; crochet stitch markers ; embroidery needle ; sewing needle 
For Indians You could use Anchor , Red rose , 4-ply knitting cotton , or unbranded knitting cotton or White Rose or bamboo knitting cotton , Milk cotton ; Silk yarns as well as Vardhaman acrylic yarns ; Baby soft acrylic yarn , Ganga Spectrum as well
General yarn info : The yarn used today is not specific to this pattern.
You can use any yarn with a suitable hook to make this project to any size.
International yarns :  Among the international yarns I have used in this thickness, I’d suggest Aunt Lydia Cotton 10, Aunt Lydia Bamboo-Viscose 10, DMC Petra, Sullivans knitting cotton (Australia), Milford Soft, Hilaza Rustica Eclat , Alize cotton yarn and Alize bamboo yarn , Lily Sugar n' Cream cotton yarn, Caron Simply Soft , Bernat Softee chunky.

Stitches used : Using U.S terminology
How to hold your yarn in crochet : https://youtu.be/FwOlCbGdbqY
Starting slip knot :   https://youtu.be/lJcqsVcs8cw
Starting slip knot 1 or the Sloppy Slip knot :   https://youtu.be/YfC7KmGpifs
What is a chain stitch ?  https://youtu.be/pXx5ukBjKkY
Single Crochet : Sc : yo, insert hk into st ; yo (2 lps on hk); yo, draw through both lps.  One sc made.  Check out the video at https://youtu.be/ghACqBpA-3k
First stitch for Single Crochet : This is how I like to start my row of sc. Check out the video at https://youtu.be/6pVYRfsf4_M
Double Crochet : dc : yo, insert hk into st ; yo (3 lps on hk);
[yo, draw through 2 lps] twice.  One dc made. 
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/xdnjB27zpYo
Chainless start for Double Crochet : I dislike the ch-2 / ch – 3 start, and this is what I do to start my row of dc.
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/wskv3iTjRx0
Foundation double crochet (fdc) : This is a unique way of starting a project directly with a row of double crochet stitches.  Here is an easy video tutorial https://youtu.be/hjNUYVvyU9k
Double crochet 2-tog : dc 2-tog :  [yo, insert hk in st or ch-sp, yo and pull up a lp ; yo and draw through 2 lps] 2 times (3 lps on hk) ;
{yo, draw through 2 lps on hk} 2 times.  One dc 2-tog made.
This video tutorial at https://youtu.be/1_oPlUfN5eg shows you how to use the dc 2-tog to decrease. 
Sometimes we work the dc 2-tog in the same stitch, to use as a decorative stitch.
Visit this video tutorial at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCQOBc83Vxo

Abbreviations used :
lp(s) : Loop(s)                     sc : Single crochet
dc : Double crochet            sp : Space                                           
sl-st : Slip stitch                  hk : Hook
st(s) : Stitch(es)                  yo : Yarn Over                                              
ch : Chain
trc : triple crochet
trc 5-tog : triple crochet 5-tog

Instructions :
Please note that I start all my rows with a ch 1, turning chain for ease.
Please check the top of this blog for easy video tutorials on all stitches used in today's pattern.
Please read through all my notes before you pick up your hook, so you know just where we're heading in our pattern.

For the Lego blanket, go here  or check out my notes at  https://shyamanivas.blogspot.in/2015/04/a-superb-lego-bricks-blanket.html  
Make as many little lego brick pieces as you'd like and then join them together for your little four legged friend.

I have made two little toys – one of which was inspired by this pattern.  I’ve tweaked it a bit (as usual), so my notes follow.
Inspired by this pattern

PATTERN 1
Pattern 1 for a cat stuff toyPattern 1 for a stuff toy using two colors
For this pattern, I’ve used two skeins of Vardhaman acrylic yarn held together and a 4.5 mm crochet hook

Start with a magic circle and 10 dc into that circle.  
Join with a sl-st to the 1st dc.  (10 dc)

Round 1 : dc in the 1st dc and each dc till end. 
Join with a sl-st to the 1st dc.  (10 dc)

Round 2 : dc 2-tog in the 1st 2 dc , 
*dc 2-tog in the next 2 dc* ; 
rep *to* till end. 
Join with a sl-st to the 1st dc. (5 dc)

Leaving a 12” tail, fasten off loosely. 

Finishing :
Now you can stuff the inside with a little bit of cotton and catnip, or cotton + catnip + a tinkly bell.. or just a bell and nothing else.  We will then sew the top up.

Please ensure that when you fill your little ball that you enclose the stuffing inside a stocking.  Please also ensure that your yarn does not pull off too easily - as that may choke your little four legged baby.

To do this,  I wrap a bit of stuffing into a stocking net and sew the top up to make a ball.  I then use several different sized balls for my amigurumi projects.
the amigurumi poly-fill stuff ball
Using an embroidery needle, pass your needle under and over the tops of the 5 dc’s lightly and then pull tightly to bring the ends together.  Pass the needle once again through all the tops and tighten again.  Do this till you’re happy that the inside is secure and your kitty cat can’t get at the stuff inside.
You can either fasten this end off and neatly weave the end in.. or you can leave this end long and trailing as well .. after all kittens do love long trailing yarn.

PATTERN 2
Pattern 2 for the cat stuff toy
After making this first pattern, I thought of making one with this striking bright blue and yellow combination and something that had not as long and trailing a yarn.. and suddenly saw that someone has already got a pattern for that.. very similar to my thoughts.. so here it is. 

For this pattern, I’ve used the inspiration here with a small change, using MC (Main Colour) and CC (Contrast Colour) yarns.

I’ve used two yarns of Vardhaman Millenium of contrast colours and started here with a magic circle using both the yarns for the magic circle, leaving about 6” spare  yarn on one side.  i.e I made the magic circle about 6” away from the edge of the two yarns. 
I then used only one colour yarn (MC) for the first set of instructions – so made 6 sc into that magic circle, and then pulled it tightly closed.
I followed instructions there-on, using the second colour (CC) and 2 sc in each st etc.

So only change being the magic circle, which is probably what the designer intended too, but worded differently.

After you’re finished with the sphere and stuffing it etc, keep a similar 6” tail at the second end as well, and then finish off.

For the spirally finish of that spare 6” yarn we’ve kept.. I’ve done exactly as the designer has .. first tied a knot at the end of our toy, then twisted that yarn and then tied another knot at the other end. You repeat this for the second end as well, and ta-da, you have a lovely multi-coloured tinkly toy .. or candy .. for your Royal Highness. 

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. Come back right here for more freebie patterns

Remember to share this blog post when you share your photos with me on Facebook.  I’d love to feature your photos on my FB page.  Cheers.

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/


Join me on YouTube at http://youtube.com/shyamanivas

And on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/ for more patterns.

Do follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/ShyamaNivas


Find me on Ravelry at ravelry.com/projects/shyamanivas/

Have a great day and see you soon. 

Here are some of my other creations.  Have fun with these free patterns too